The Fiqh of Ramadan
Knowing how to do an action is a prerequisite to having the correct intention and performing it correctly. Therefore it is incumbent upon each of us to familiarise ourselves with the rulings regarding one the greatest forms of worship Allah has commanded His believing servants to perform, fasting during the month of Ramadhaan.
Based on the classical text ‘Umdatul Fiqh by Ibn Qudamah al Maqdisi, this course will focus on the following juristic issues: Preconditions, recognising the start of the month, matters that nullify the fast, expiations for breaking the fast, ‘I’tikaaf (spiritual retreat) as well as contemporary issues.
This is a companion course to “Spiritual Preparation for Ramadhaan” and should be studied in conjunction with this other course to maximise the benefits reaped during the month of Ramadhaan.
In this course you will learn the following:
– What is the legal definition of fasting?
– How does one intend to fast?
– Upon whom is fasting an obligation?
– When should one fast?
– Is a pregnant woman excused from fasting?
– When should one break one’s fast?
– For whom is it permissable to break their fast?
– What things and actions nullify the fast?
– At what other times can one fast?
– What are the legal rulings regarding seclusion (Itikaf) in the Masjid?